About

Only 20% of what influences the health of patients is related to the quality of the health care they receive. The other 80% — called the social determinants of health — is found in patients’ behaviors, socioeconomic conditions and physical environment.

For patients and families with complex health issues, such as a substance use disorder, providing whole person care can build resiliency and improve recovery and health outcomes.

Objectives

  • Discuss ways to deliver whole person care to improve recovery and outcomes for individuals with an opioid use disorder (OUD)
  • Describe the role of social determinants of health (SDOH) in the opioid crisis
  • Discuss the “twindemic” of COVID-19 and OUD
  • Describe examples of addressing SDOH such as employment, food insecurity, housing insecurity, etc.

Speaker

Andrew Kolodny, M.D., senior scientist and medical director, Opioid Policy Research Collaborative

Dr. Andrew Kolodny has a long-standing interest in public health, previously serving as chief medical officer for Phoenix House, a national nonprofit addiction treatment agency, and chair of psychiatry at Maimonides Medical Center in New York City. He began his career working for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene in the Office of the Executive Deputy Commissioner. For New York City, he helped develop and implement multiple programs to improve the health of New Yorkers and save lives, including citywide buprenorphine programs, naloxone overdose prevention programs and emergency room-based screening, brief intervention and referral to treatment (SBIRT) programs for drug and alcohol misuse.

Who should attend

Opioid stewardship pilot project participants and health care professionals who are interested in learning about ways to improve their organization’s opioid stewardship program, including pharmacists, mental health and addiction providers, physicians and nurses.

Continuing education

As an ABMS Portfolio Program Sponsor, MHA can help attending physicians and physician assistants receive continuing certification (MOC) credit from their respective specialty board for work related to opioid stewardship, including participation in this webinar. 

The program has been designed to meet the Minnesota Board of Nursing continuing education requirements for a total of 1 contact hour.

Fee

  • Complimentary for MHA member hospitals and health systems
  • $35 per person for associate members
  • $75 per person for nonmembers

Registration deadline

Please register by 5 p.m. on Aug. 25 to ensure timely delivery of access instructions.

Approximately four business days before the web conference, you will receive an email that contains instructions on how to connect. Advance registration is required to ensure delivery of instructional materials.

If you do not receive an email prior to the program with web conference details, please contact Kimberley Huntington to confirm your registration.

Save the date for future Opioid Stewardship Series webinars

Part Six: Sept. 9, 1-2 p.m.

Log In to Register
When and Where
  • 8/26/2021 1:00 PM CDT
  • 8/26/2021 2:00 PM CDT
  • Webinar